YOUTH INFORMATION CENTRE
I. Basic information
The Youth Information Centre is a department of the National Institute of Children and Youth which is a directly controlled organization of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
The basic idea of the National Youth Information Centre (NICM) is to gather all necessary information, information products, consultancy and services for children and youth in one place and its subsequent distribution and popularization within the Youth Information System. This is to be done in compliance with the purposes and aims of the strategy of the state policy for the field of Children and Youth as well as with the European Youth Information Charter.
In 2006 the NICM launched a new philosophy in the area of awareness of young people, the main idea of which is „to be a lighthouse in the ocean of information and to help the young to seek and above all to find their way".
During its 20 years of existence (it was established as the first Youth information centre (ICM) in the Czech Republic in 1992) the NICM has built the position of a natural national authority in the area of Youth Information Centres. It offers methodological activities to all government and non-government organizations concerning the issues of establishing and operating an ICM.
It organizes seminars for the staff of ICMs from all over the Czech Republic, enables newly establishing ICMs to undergo one-day trainings right in the NICM in Prague.
It answers questions of the regional ICMs´ staff and helps them in creation and implementation of their projects. It regularly sends files of updated information from all areas of the unified classification of information straight to the regional centres.
All information from the 10 basic information areas is gathered and offered at the www.nicm.cz website.
For all ICMs in the Czech Republic it creates the Czech section of the international information portal for youth in Europe - www.infomobil.org.
NIDM (National Institute for Children and Youth) is a member of the ERYICA international organization which associates ICMs all over Europe. It is also its national coordinator for the Czech Republic.
In compliance with this idea the aim of the NICM NIDM is:
1. to gather, sort and store relevant information from the given areas set in compliance with the purposes and aims of the state policy for the field of Children and Youth and the European Youth Information Charter binding for the members of the European Youth Information and Counselling Agency - ERYICA
2. to distribute information within the Youth Information System and to develop information and counselling activity in the broadest scope possible
3. to permanently improve awareness of young people and to enable them to participate on this task
4. to methodologically and expertly support regional ICMs all over the Czech Republic and to help them improve their work
The activity of the NICM is primarily concentrated on imparting relevant information to children and youth.
A derived target group is created by schools and educational institutions, parents, teachers, children and youth workers and organizations and institutions ensuring free-time activities for children and youth.
The third specific target group are Youth Information Centres all over the Czech Republic and their staff.
II. Overview of activities of the NICM
1. Data processing and subsequent distribution to all regions
2. Information and counselling activities
3. Individual counselling
4. Methodological and expert support of ICMs all over the Czech Republic
5. Cooperation with other organizations and institutions
6. Membership in international organizations
7. Creation of information for the international portal - Infomobil
8. Public relations and presentation of the NICM
III. Areas of the unified classification of information
1.Education in the Czech Republic/Education abroad
2. Work in the Czech Republic /Work abroad
3. Travelling in the Czech Republic/ Travelling abroad
4. Free time
7. Socio-pathological phenomena
8. Social groups and movements
9. Citizen and sociaty
10. Youth in the EU
IV. Contact Information
Národní Informační centrum pro mládež NIDM MŠMT
Na Poříčí 1035/4
110 00 Praha 1
(near the tram stop Namesti Rrepubliky)
Tel.: +420 221 850 860
V. Documents in English
• Guide for International Students (Charles University in Prague) (pdf)